1. Use your flash sparingly - turn it off when it isn't vital
2. Consider getting a small tripod - DSLR shooting demands accesories - so does any serious shooting.
3. Consider your file settings and final use of the images - is small/fine more suitable than Large/standard?
4. Use your zoom - wide angle tends to be distorted and can present issues with the proximity of the flash to the lens.
5. Be creative! Consider your framing, angle, perspective and background. Just because it is a simpler camera doesn't mean you should shoot without thought!
Sign up to our mailing list at http://www.thatnikonguy.com
See all the latest photography news & reviews on my second channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoNewsReviews
Join in: http://www.facebook.com/thatnikonguy