Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC vs. Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS
  • Hi! I'm Christian and I have a Canon 60d. I'm selling my 24-105L because the f4 was driving me nuts. The small depth of field was limiting my creativity and I'm working on upgrading my lenses out of small DOF's. Struggling between the lenses mentioned in the title for the tele. I'm an enthusiast who doesn't do a lot of studio photography; I take lots of pictures outdoors and on the fly, not uncommonly in low light. I'd love to try wildlife photography and am thinking about getting a 1.4x extender for these guys down the road to give me that extra reach. My questions: has anyone used these with a teleconverter? What's the T value on these? Couldn't find them anywhere. People always recommend the Canon, but I'm concerned about me being frustrated with the f4, like I was with my 24-105. I end up shooting with my 50mm 1.4 prime much much more than the 24-105 because of it. I'd love the Tamron, but it's a bit of a stretch financially. How close is the Sigma to the Tamron for sharpness? Has anyone ever found the Tamron used for under $1k (that would be ideal for me)?

Thanks for your time!
  • Well I personally use a 6d with a 70-200 2.8 from Sigma. I don't know about the lenses you are thinking about, but I'm happy with the 70-200 2.8 HSM II which was before the OS, it works good is fast and has nice quality. It was about 500€ new but it's not easy to still find one of them. They have a lot bang for bug in my mind... and i guess the OS version is also quite good. So for a enthusiast i guess the Sigma is a good choice :)

The Canon f4 is not an option in my mind, if you had a f2.8 you don't want to go back to the f4 ;) and if you didn't like the 24-105 you'll not like the 70-200 much more i guess